What's new on CPAN - January 2016
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure. Enjoy!
N.B. Last year’s “module of the month” experiment has come to an end. I think there are better ways to promote Perl modules and developers (see CPAN Weekly for example).
APIs & Apps
- Convert CPAN distributions into RPM packages with the newly-repackaged App::CPANtoRPM!
- App::Inspect helps you easily find the versions and locations of installed modules
- App::tt is a command line time tracking app
- Net::Duo provides a Perl API for the popular multifactor authentication service
- Read articles from two popular sources at the command line: App::tldr and WebService::TDWTF
Config & Devops
- Conveniently find local outdated modules and for CPAN:CPAN::Diff and Pinto: DarkPAN::Compare
- Dispatch log events to Slack with log4perl and Log::Dispatch::Slack
- Useful for low-level network tasks, Net::Frame::Layer::VRRP provides a Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol class
- A simple way to get a high-resolution Unix epoch: Time::TAI::Simple
- Types::SQL is library of SQL types; useful for Moo/Moose/Mouse classes
Development & Version Control
- Interesting; call functions / methods from a different caller with Call::From
- Export::Declare provides simple and clean ways to export code and variables.
- Importer provides convenient routines for importing (and renaming!) code from modules
- Easily test non-blocking Perl scripts (like Mojo apps) with Test::Script::Async
- Test2::Workflow is a framework for building testing workflows (e.g. Test2::Tools::Spec)
- Make scalars which execute a subroutine every time they’re accessed using Tie::Scalar::Callback
- Paul Evans continues to deliver new hardware tools via Device::Chip! Get a driver for the PCF8563 chip (Device::Chip::PCF8563), and a driver for SD and MMC cards (Device::Chip::SDCard)
- Poker::Eval is a base class providing routines for Poker games including dealing, scoring and calculating expected win rates.
- URI::redis provides a URI class specific to Redis URIs
Science & Mathematics
- Bio::HTS is an early-stage Perl interface for htslib
- Get cryptographically-secure and fast pseudo random number generators using Crypt::DRBG
- Create CGI (yes!) GitHub webhooks withCGI::Github::Webhook
- Curious: Lemplate compiles TT templates to standalone Lua modules for OpenResty
This article was originally posted on PerlTricks.com.
Something wrong with this article? Help us out by opening an issue or pull request on GitHub