What's new on CPAN - September 2014
Welcome to “What’s new on CPAN”, a curated look at last month’s new CPAN uploads for your reading and programming pleasure.
- Untappd::API provides a Perl interface to the beer drinking social network
- ComXo::Call2 looks interesting, appears to be an API to a switchboard telco service
- cpan-outdated-corois a faster version of the useful cpan-outdated app
- Easily get the directory of an installed Perl module with pmdir e.g:
$ cd $( pmdir Moose )
- App::sslmaker helps you create your own SSL certificates
- Get a weather report at the terminal using App::wu (disclosure - I am the module author). If you live in Japan you may be interested in the new module WWW::Livedoor::Weather instead
Async & Concurrency
- Net::DNS::Native is a shiny new non-blocking DNS resolver
- Scalar::Watcher is very interesting: allows you to monitor a variable for changes and invoke a function when they occur
- Wow - parse card magnetic strip data with Card::Magnetic
- Data::Partial::Google filters partial data structures “Google style”
- Tie a hash or array to an INI file with INI_File
- MySQL::Warmer will warm up your MySQL server! (populates the cache I think)
- Data::Bitfield makes it easier to manage low level data bit encoding integers (bitfields).
- Quickly clean up string data with Str::Filter. It provides a collection of useful functions for sprucing up strings
Config & DevOps
- Rex::JobControl is a web interface for Rex, the Perl based DevOps tool. Also check out their beautiful website.
- Search for and load modules at runtime with Plugin::Loader
- Path::Extended::Tiny wraps the wonderful Path::Tiny module with methods from Path::Extended
Math, Science & Language
- Math::Shape::Vector is a 2d vector library, intended for games programming (disclosure - I am the module author).
- Text::IQ is a fabulous module for analysing text - it returns basic stats about the text as well as flesch, kincaid and fog scores.
- Module::Runtime’s recent release broke some versions of Moose. Not to worry, check for conflicts with Module::Runtime::Conflicts
- Object::Util provides a collection of utility
- Limper is interesting - a dependency free, lightweight web framework
- New user agents! LWP::Simple::REST exports RESTful request methods for LWP and Net::HTTP::Client is a lightweight user agent in the vein of HTTP::Tiny
- Conveniently create and verify secure messages using PBKDF2::Tiny
- Find out your IP address with WWW::IP (disclaimer - I am the module author)
- WebService::Client is a role that makes it easy to quickly churn out a web service client
Testing & Exceptions
- Test::NoOverride is very cool - it implements a test for overridden methods, with some sensible defaults
This article was originally posted on PerlTricks.com.
Something wrong with this article? Help us out by opening an issue or pull request on GitHub