Perl Style: Everyone Has an Opinion
- Style can easily become a religious issue.
- What I am about to tell you is mostly my opinion. It
includes both general philosophy and concrete tips.
- Warning: I may not always follow my own tips. :-)
- I do not expect all of you to agree with me all the time.
Choose a style and stick with it. Consistency is critical.
- I owe indirectly K&P, K&R, S&W, Rob Pike, and Larry Wall for laying
the foundations, and directly Jon Orwant, Mark-Jason Dominus, and Nat
Torkington for reviewing early versions of these notes.
- `Under no circumstances should you program the way I say to because I
say to; program the way you think expresses best what you're trying to
accomplish in the program. And do so consistently and ruthlessly.'
Forward to Program Perl, Not C/BASIC/Java/Pascal/etc
Up to index
Copyright © 1998, Tom Christiansen
All rights reserved.